Saturday, June 10, 2006

Badass America!

Well I am listening to Kid Rock, and playing my nephews PS2 game "Animorphs" but for some reason it won't read my memory card *grr*

Today was a full day. Got up and went to the East side to take my content speciality exam today at Hunter's Collge. I did review yesterday and this morning b4 taking the test. I did feel it helped me some but I do feel the test overall is POORLY designed, the comprehsion section isn't good because the questions and choices are too ambigous. For example here's one I recall; Q. Which seems more accurrate for the first speaker? A. Determined, Defensive, Angry, or Thoughtful? Um esqueeze me but defensive and angry seem pretty damn similar and then how far off is determined? Really I did some research, this test was released in 2003. Means the test has a HIGH failure rate! I ran into some classmates at the exam, both are really nice girls and they started the program 1 year before me and they still havent passed! Yes they are hearing but both are active members of the deaf community and have finished the program at the Teacher's College so as you can see, I am not alone in my frusturation in a medicroe exam that have to keep shelling out $88 for. You know me, hearing people can hear the hinges of my finger joints creaking as I release money (ha ha.)

Saw the guy last night. So funny, he went out and brought a new shirt because the one he was wearing (and still wearing under the new shirt) "smelled bad." The poor guy was sweating to death. Anyhoo I made a few quick introductions and pointed out my friends in the crowd like Knob and Wailes. As the tour began I could see something was off and asked him whats wrong. He mumbled something about my "ad" and I was like yeah? ... I reminded him specifically that I put in the title DEAF, and in my post I also put DEAF ... then he was like confused but then I kinda whomped him (sorry ASL lingo where you take make a U and have the fingers/palm facing outwards, backhand facing inwards, then you like tap forward as if you literally hit them on the forehead)... anyhoo I said how when I am with hearing people, I am able to meet their communication needs. That I believe communication is a 2 way street and if I am willing to speak and listen for you, you have to meet me halfway and use ASL and visual contact with me. I know when I said it I was kinda defensive because I am like if you can't handle this, you are never gonna be able to handle me but he quickly stopped and I could see the mind gears turning. Then I was feeling strained somewhat but we both stood and watched the lecture but ofc everytime I would pass Knob we would act about 5 years old, teasing each other, I was really happy she was there. At the end the tour. I was really not sure what would happen, so I asked him what he thought. He said it was interesting and that he learned some things like getting out of the way of visual view of deafies. I ofc joked and said, alright you learned an important rule among us deafies, "Get out of the WAY!" anyhoo, I think by then he realized after Nutters enthralling lecture and dramatic ending of interpretative art work that ASL is a Language like any other and we are just as smart or stupid as anyone else. I felt this was a good way to introduce him to the deaf world because here is an intellectual event being lead by a deafie about the same kind of things hearies like and would never think we would too or we are capable of it. We ended up joining the gang to go eat some dinner. I somehow misunderstood and thought we were eating European food and once we sat down and open the menus I realized it was *gasps* Ethopian food! Ugh I HATE that kind of cuisine, YUCK. If I wanted to eat food that looked like glop and is running like eggs, um I would but NO thank you. I looked at my date and asked him if he wanted to go somewhere else? Plus I was feeling under pressure because of the language difficulties. So we left and walked over to a Thai place and ate there. I think our dinner conversation was probably the highlight of the evening. I just am still not sure where I am with this. Just kinda taking it slow. Afterwards at the train stop we hugged goodnight. I am glad he didnt try to make a move then it wouldve been a bad idea. I definitely don't want a guy who is only interested in getting me in bed. If I wanted that, I could hit a bar any day of the week and tap it but I am not into that. Nyways he knows I am pretty busy with MICA, AADB camp and moving back to PA so he is aware of where my life is right now.

Today filming gig went well. I was able to get my one section for the next part done, "me is the happy."

No comments: