Monday, June 26, 2006

When it rains discrimination it POURS!

Here's an example of what might happen if McDonalds ever came to Africa!
This was sent to me by King.

She also sent me this cute video, so if you need a chuckle or two, check it out. No subtitles required, only smiles.
This video was done by BlurStudio

While I was at the subway I was surprised to find the following poster along the platform. Whats intriguing is the fact, it is aim to Hearies. Not deafies, and makes a statement that hearies can and want to communicate with the DEAF!


My week at AADB flew by. I had a great time other than the one day when the transportation was messed up and we had to wait in the heat, humidity and sun for over an hour. Not AADB fault but the bus services we used. I was a little peeved to find out on thursday night when I went to the bar along with many other ssps, and deafies as well as dbs that many deafies didn't give me the time of day. You know why? Because I "look hearing." Jesus, is that stupid or what? I mean come on, those deafies didn't give me a chance which means they didn't give many hearies who are signers and deaf at heart a chance either, tsk tsk! When is the deaf community gonna learn that deafies come from all walks of life, from various communication modes. There is no one right way to be DEAF.

The other upsetting thing happened on the GreyHound bus from Baltimore to NYC. When I went to get my ticket, I asked the woman behind the counter for information as to where the bus would arrive. She said they would make an announcement. I told her thats fine, but I am deaf, could someone tap me on the shoulder when the bus arrives? Meanwhile my things are in a friends car and we decided to chat for a little bit before returning to the platform area. The bus was to leave at 8 40pm, we were at the platform at 8 15pm. Next thing I know, the security guy is staring at me and Karen as we're signing and he says "I didn't know you two were deaf." I was like, "yeah now you know." I mean, thats kinda obvious if we're standing there signing. So things continue and then suddenly a bunch of people already in line motioned me to go over to board the bus. I was like NO, go ahead and board everyone regularly. I didn't ask for any special treatment, just to be notified the bus was here. Guess what, I can see the bus with my own eyes! The ticket guy/bus driver stood there smiling like a jackass and totally ignoring me as I said, for him to go ahead and board the passenger in the order we were standing. He didn't, just stood there smiling at me and ignoring my wishes! So I begrudingly and was immensely embarrassed, boarded the bus. I did not appreciate being treated like a special ed kid or having my business advertise for the rest of the public! I grumbled as I got on the bus and sat down in a seat in the middle of the bus. Meanwhile NO ONE is boarding, 5 mins later the same bus driver comes on board and walks over to me, still smiling like a village idiot which ticked me off even more. I am not here to "inspire you" or make you feel like a hero because you helped poor, handicapped, disabled, hearing impaired person such as myself. I then let him have it, telling him I did NOT appreciate how he handle the situation, that I did not request any special attention other than being notified when the bus arrived. Meanwhile the jackass keeps smiling at me like I am a child or imbecile, oh no you didn't. I went ghetto on his ass and gave him a tongue lashing he would NOT forget. He tried to interrupt me and I kept on talking. After I said my piece, can you guess what he said next?! He says he has reserved a seat for me in front of the bus! And could I please move there so he can board the other passengers?! What the f%$@&! Who's deaf here? Did he not hear anything Ive been saying so I then said, NO I will not move and to stop treating me as if I was a special olympic contender, or a 2nd class citizen! Well I finally wiped that jackass looking smile off his face. Finally the other passengers boarded! Then a white woman in a GreyHound uniform walks on the bus and in my direction. I thought "Oh no, what have I done? Did my big mouth get me kicked off the bus?" Nope, its crazier than that. The woman hands me a small folded note and says, "Its from the security guy outside, he wants you to give this to your friend (Karen)." I couldn't believe it, I replied "You're kidding right?!" No she wasn't all of the passengers laughed. I then during the 4 hour ride back made up my mind to speak to the driver when we arrived and clear up the air as I am sure he did not intend to offend me in the manner that he did. So when we got to NYC, I waited for everyone to exit and then approached the driver and explained that he embarrassed me not once, but twice and ignored me and my wishes. I told him if he had spoken to me in private and explained he wanted me to board first or sit in front of the bus, that would have been different but to make it public knowledge and then repeatedly ignored me while standing there, smiling like a jackass (yes I actually said this) was NOT acceptable. That I want to be treated like everyone else. And even tho I was wrong to let him have it, I felt I had no choice. He was cool with it and we both apologized. I think he could related being an overweight Black American, I am sure he gets his share of idiotic responses as well.

But does the discrimination end there, oh no it doesnt. This morning I had to return the Uhual truck by 7am which meant I was up by 6am. And if anyone knows me I hate mornings, especially an ungodly hour such as that. I arrived and so did some other people and we all parked our Uhual trucks and vans. Meanwhile the attendant who was checking in the vehicles would approach the next person according to their arrival. Well my turn came but he didn't come my way and instead started helping another guy. Excuse me, I said to the man, I am next and need to get going. He said "NO youre not." and I replied, "Yes sir, I was here before this man was, pls check in my vehicle." He then ignores me. Wait a minute, this would never happen if I was a MAN! God, I didn't need that, so I kinda feeling like when the shit hits the fan, it sure does fly. But things come in 3, first it was AADB, me not being deaf enuff, then it was Greyhound, treating me as a special ed project and last but not least its because I am a woman and look young and harmless. Argh... I know, let it roll off my back, let it go but its still quite maddening.

Things with The Guy are heating up. The more I spend time with him, the more I like him. We share a lot of the same values. Plus he is so ambitious and very intelligent. Besides now he's starting to relaxs and be himself around me, and I am enjoying him for who is. He helped me yesterday with moving and saved my ass with the storage situation as well. I think he'll be around for a while :) We will see each other next weekend.

No comments: