Sunday, July 09, 2006

Older people don't get NO respect!

The Little Boy and the Old Man by Shel Silverstein

Said the little boy, "Sometimes I drop my spoon."
Said the old man, "I do that too."
The little boy whispered, "I wet my pants."
"I do that too," laughed the little old man.
Said the little boy, "I often cry."
The old man nodded, "So do I."
"But worst of all," said the boy, "it seems
Grown-ups don't pay attention to me."
And he felt the warmth of a wrinkled old hand.
"I know what you mean," said the little old man


I just love this poem because it can be related on all levels of humanity. Also last Friday when the Tin Man had to do a work order for an elderly lady, he was conflicted by his morals and his job requirements. I am proud of him for choosing the right thing, even if it gets him in hot water with the boss. Older people deserve more respect than they usually get. Often they live on meager means and a fixed income. The Tin Man wasn't gonna allow his company to rob this lady of her fianances. I think our country seriously lacks when it comes to the senior citizens community. For example my Grandmother still has to pay school taxes. Come on, her youngest children (twins) are in their late 40s and she still has to pay school taxes, outrageous!

Now I will admit Shel Silverstein has a questionable reputation. Apparently he was very sexist and treated people badly. He passed away in 1999. Szymanski brought it to my attention but I cannot deny the quality of his works (poems). I grew up reading his books, "Where the SideWalk Ends" and "The Light in the Attic." Plus ofc who can forget the "Giving Tree?" One of my other favorite poem by him is called; "Ickle me, Pickle me, Tickle me too."

Ickle me, Pickle me, Tickle me too
Went for a ride in a flying shoe.
"Hooray!"
"What fun!"
"It’s time we flew!"
Said Ickle me, Pickle me, Tickle me too
Ickle was captain, and Pickle was crew
And Tickle served coffee and mulligan stew
As higher
And higher
And higher they flew
Ickle me, Pickle me, Tickle me too.
Ickle me, Pickle me, Tickle me too,
Over the sun and beyond the blue.
"Hold on!"
"Stay in!"
"I hope we do!"
Cried Ickle me, Pickle me, Tickle me too.
Ickle me, Pickle me, Tickle me too
Never returned to the world they knew,
And nobody
Knows what’s
Happened to
Dear Ickle me, Pickle me, Tickle me too.


Today I am in PA, being a LAZY bum! Showed Baba my MICA video and she liked it a lot. Downloaded some footage but the adapter for the 1CCD camera isn't complete. So when the Tin Man comes Thursday night, he's bringing a spare, yay! I am looking forward to seeing what he thinks of my home town and of my family and what my family thinks of him?

No comments: