Saturday, April 22, 2006

"Skin Tight" eh...

I seriously feel that " ASL terped" plays in general fail to translate what's happening on stage. I accept the fact I will probably never get to go to a Dave Chapelle or Eddie Izzard show LIVE because no ASL translation would NOT suffice, these are Hearing Performers! I vote, let them speak in their "native" language. Besides I enjoy hearie humor, no shame in that. Someone recently told me about a "test pilot" on a hand held/ PDA type gagdet that the text in English. I am curious to see that? I know any voice activated software could be used more effectively in a 2 way street. One it would allow deafies more access to the world at large. 2ndly the hearies would stop complaining and deafies would be viewed more like many other minorities in the international community as well as USA that are bi-lingual or more. I am sad to mention this but I almost fell asleep several times duringt the play. I was nodding a few times for real! I was concern about interrupting the performance so I waited, or *ahem* tried to seriously not nod off, for intermission which turned out to be the end of the play. The problem you see was, the terps were stationed on a balcony about 10 ft or more aboved the performer (and this was weird, they had this eeire green light on the terps so it was hard to pay attention to). It was nearly impossible to see them and at the same time the hearing actors performing down below. Perhaps if I had had a chance to read the script prior, it might have engaged me more? The other major problem I have with hearing spoken plays is they just take forever to get anywhere with mere spoken words and minimal body language or stimulating dialogue. Now, most D/deafies I know get right to the point. Its all based on the "diamond theory of communication differences between deaf and hearing population"
The weather was just horrible today, windy, cold, rainy bastard kind of day! I dragged myself out of bed and was at TC by 10am to help a classmate and his group do a project which was of course a FILM project. Basically a do and don't guide for hearies and Blondie was the main lead and she did a great job. Adamo also did a good job as a director. I served more as a tech consultant and when Adamo was in a particular scenes, I then served as an assistant director. I only disgressed with him on the lighting issues, I was concern the shots wouldn't be visible enough. I don't know, only the editing room floor will tell. I think it was a good experience for all involved. Some of them were surprised on how long it takes to set up your shots, the line up/sequence order and the rehersals of the lines etc etc..Everyone was great to work with. I enjoyed getting to know them. Its interesting how collaborations, however brief they are, make a lasting impression. Maybe thats the allure of the entertainment industry? There are so many people out there both Deaf and Hearing that I would give my left ear, (er I'm no Van Gogh) to work with!
BTW; Here's what I wore last night. I've never had a chance to wear something this fun in forever! *Yea I was feeling Rocker Chick* Ah, I love NYC.

No comments: