Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Wanye Newton and some Beef Cake

Grace my tv screen, as I type. Even Eric Roberts is in it, "Best of the Best II" made in 1993, lame ass, but pleasant background while I do this.

Tonight was the 2nd night of TC ASL Week, it went pretty well with some technical issues near the end but other than that here's how it went;

I set up a simple page on projection screen saying that tonight's events were dedicated to Sarah Pack who was instrumental in mine (DeafeningChameleon) and Jade's film developments. That she died unexpectedly November 2005 and she was only 29 years old. We MISS you New York Pack! From left to right (Back row); Blondie, Me, Yingst, Vincent, Patty 'O (now continue to the front row) Knob, Cole and ofc New York Pack! This was taken last September for Jade's birthday bash. It was a good night.


Then I began the evening line up opening with Kathy Diamond, a terp and a familar face in the theater world. On a short summary of Earnest Marshall, the "Father" of deaf-filmaking. We watched "A Cake of Soap" that was filmed in Central Park, 1963. Very nice little number.

Next we watched Kamau Buchanan "Help Me" video, Kauma's Website. Check it out, its pretty good. I liked it because it has a slight "Alfred Hitchcock" feel and deals with mental health. People loved the twist that it climaxed to, definitely watch thru the credit till the movie is COMPLETELY over, otherwise you'll miss the real ending.
My only complaint is the subtitles should be in the letterbox so its not so hard to read.

Next was Ridor's work, "An Idealistic Day" made in 1991. You can watch it Here. Unfortunately it wasn't captioned and some of it was hard to see, but overall the deaf audience members loved it. There was roarous laughter and some puzzled looks.
It was the hearies who mostly missed the jokes. Oh well, we had voice terps but ofc, Ridor's production would be ASL superior to most *grins* I had to explain to Erfo's friend Barcardi the joke. Ridor, when are you gonna get someone to clean up the video and transfer it to a better grade? And when are you gonna post your other movie? Adamo was so surprised when he found out I was showing your movie. Ridor? He has a movie? I said not one, but TWO! and he's working on a screenplay. Ridor transfer your 2 movies on to a DVD and get them out there, deafies will enjoy it!

Next we showed Rene Visco "Audism" and what "Light Kitchen" means? both were well recieved and well done. Rene hads been doing this for years now. I remember taking 1 class in multimedia and doing poorly. I worked with him and Allison Aubretch later on for Audism play they did in DC. I was proud and glad to show his work.

We then took a 10 minute intermission which turned into 25 minutes because the PC wouldn't play Jade's or my movie, grr. Had to make several trips to media services. Good thing I work there, I just grabbed what I needed. Jade went ahead and spoke with the audience some on her background to kill time and also she was planning to speak after we watched her piece.

Next we watched part of Jade's "Reaching Zenith: A Black Deaf Filmmaker's Journey" It opened her background and Jade speaking a little from her office. Then it moved onto her earliest worked filmed on 16mm black and white film. Very cute and the audience laughed several times. The DVD we used did not have a chapter menu and so we didn't get to show various parts of the DVD which I appreciate Jade giving that up as it was not possible to do so due to time restraints. It was already 8 45 and the event is from 7 to 9.

Last but not least, I quickly realized like Nutter I forgot to introduce myself earlier and dove into the nights line up. I wonder if King will continue the jinx or?? anyhoo I just sprouted out a few words saying its all volunteered and team based projects. People LOVED Erfo! She had them rolling. What can I say, she's a star! Also when Blondie made her appearance all of the deafies were thrilled. It was a great feeling seeing and hearing (yeah with a hearing aid) laughter here and there. Both Erfo and Blondie were a big hit, as well as several other deafies in the film. I even had Patty 'O ask me to buy a copy on the spot! That was a great feeling. Its made me want to work harder on finishing what I've done so far and stop doubting myself so much. Yes I will teach in the fall but its April and September is 5 months away. I'm gonna make the best of it till then!

Blondie and I went to a meeting today for our classmate and friend Adamo. We will help him and his classmate shoot a 5 minute "Dos and Don'ts" for hearies on deafies. Blondie will star, me I will be an extra and help consult with filming and the shot line ups. Then I will join King and some others for a 5pm terped live show downtown callled "Skin Tight" playing at Spoon Theater. Now I going to bed and this is early for me, folks.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually An Idealistic Day was made in fall of 97, not 1991.

deafeningchameleon said...

oh my, I stand corrected :) I will amend that in any future publication, and it does make sense since we both were at Gally the same time
a BIG hello
j

ps do you keep in touch with Otis or Tammy?

Anonymous said...

I missed the festival due to work. I can't get linked to Kamau's site. Can you give the link again or please fix it? I am really curious to know!

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi... didn't realize it was you until I asked Ridor. It's been a long time!! To answer your question... I haven't heard from Otis since last Fall and barely spoke to Tammy. Guess our lives went on the different paths.

It may be an old news but are you still with that dude, CJ?

By the way, I gotta thank you for introduce me to Mallrats which got me hooked on Kevin Smith's movies, especially Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back which is my favorite comedy of the all times. I have seen it over 25 times and still laugh out loud every time I watched it.

Sharpe

deafeningchameleon said...

To Anonymous
I fixed the link, you should be able to see Kauma's work now
j

deafeningchameleon said...

Hi Sharpe
No, we broke up about 4 years ago. It was for the best, we dated for 6 years and he was my first love but I think we just grew up and apart. We aren't friends, my choice :)
Glad you like MallRats, have you seen either The Big Lebrowski or Napolean Dynamite? Both excellent flicks. For drama I highly recommend Crash.
I saw Otis once while I was still living in MD. Cleaned up his life and I think was going to go back to school? Not sure?
anyhoo
take an easy
j
ps btw Sorry just moved to Myrtle Beach, SC last Dec/jan. Is well.

Anonymous said...

Hi again, yes I saw all three movies you mentioned above. I absolutely loved The Big Lebowski which I thought it's the best Coen Brothers' film. Not to mention... hilarious!!

Maybe I am out of line but how come you and CJ aren't friends, by your choice? If it's too personal then I understand.

Last time I hear from Otis last fall was that he went back to Gally. That's it.

Ahh Jason Sauro... I missed that dude... I remmy my old days with Otis, Sorry and Mikie 9 years ago. Damn time surely fly fast!

Good to hear from you again,
Sharpe

deafeningchameleon said...

Hey Sharpe
It just easier for me to go about my life without dealing with issues from the EX. He wasn't that good to me at the end and we hung 1x after and it was terrible. I don't believe in being friends with your ex (unless it was very short lived). I can't just switch to being with someone who was the most important person in my life and confidant to medicroe. By the time we broke up, we werent even friends, I lost all trust in him and I just don't want to deal with the ex. Besides most of our mutual friends fill me in whether or not I want to know. Last I was told, he's expecting a 2nd kid with his gf (he started dating a girl a year after we broke up and got her knocked up 1 month later- I know impressive) and that he moved to Montanna. I also was told he went up to 220 lbs! That was a shocker for me, as he was always so thin when we dated. Oh well, its not my problem :)
what about you, did you ever get married? any kids??
j

Anonymous said...

Nope I'm not married and it's not in my future plans anytime soon. I'm enjoying my singlehood wayyy too much to sacrifice to become balls and chain. I can be a bit selfish when it comes to my space and time. And I dont have any girlfriend either. And no kids at all. Too much responsibilities. It's 24/7 job.

Like the woman in 40 Years Old Virgin said "Fuck-Buddy!".. that's what I have lately. Easier that way and know in the ending we can remains friends without complications. Know what I mean?

Yeah life goes on as long as we're enjoying every single minute of it.

What about you? Married? Boyfriend? Kids?

Sharpe who hopes not many people are reading this comment. ;)

deafeningchameleon said...

nah
I date occassionally, no one I fancy. I'm picky. Besides I already had one long term relationship. I am not ready for another one and honestly I like my life as it is these days :)
NO kids, still have Tom, remmy my cat that BITES? yeah he's like 11 or 12 now, and he still BITES.
alrighty glad life is treating you well, if youre ever in NYC, we must hang!
-J

Anonymous said...

Hmm I vaguely remember Tom the biter cat... but it's cool that you still have the same cat after these years. I am doing the same thing with my cat who I named *drum roll* Vader! He's the first cat I get to name him so I thought to myself... why not name him after my favorite movie villain of all times. He's 5 years old and I had him since he was a little kitty. I grew up having many cats but never last long because of our family moved around and my parents give them up too often.

I adore him to death! He's the perfect cat I shaped him into... never do it in the kitty litter but rather going outside all the times so to save myself a little job of picking his dumplings. haha And he's a great company.

I'ld love to visit the Big Apple one day and if you and Ridor do roomie up then we can hang out and catch up news.

I'm off watching NHL playoff games,
till then
Sharpe