Thursday, April 13, 2006

*Whip cracks* Back to the Land of the Living

[Deafies do the "Wave" and participating in a "Wave"] Yep, I actually made it through a day without napping! This is improvement and I was sick of the view from bed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not running through fields with the wind tassling my hair, nah this gal was doing her taxes and research for TC ASL Festival next week presentation. I've gathered a lengthy list of D/deaf/HOH/Oralist actors and I will post it next week after the festival ends, for any reader who may be interested but unable to attend.

Tonight I had class before metting Blondie, Erfo and some others for a few hours. We had delish Mexican take out, seriously I am fussy about Mexican food but this place, YUM. If you're in Blondie's neck of the woods, highly recommend (sorry don't remmy the name).

Got a case of insomia right now. Its ok, I am just about done for the paper work for the program booklet. I really want to see it turn into a mini resource booklet that can be updated yearly. Its pretty bad that there's only 1 book on deafies in HollyWood called "HollyWood Speaks" by John S Schuchman a retired History Professor from Gally who published it in 1988, so nothing for almost 20 years!! I would love to contact him with my list and see if he's planning to do a 2nd edition?

As I put together the list of (d/Deaf/HOH/Oralist) actors I noticed a common trend. One many of the more recent works show up on programs that deal with mass public such as ER, Law and Order (and many of their spin offs), Sue Thomas; F.B. Eye, Strong Medicine, and even one from the X-files. What is it about deafies and people of authorities wearing uniforms or in charge of saving the deafies life? I guess we matter to television networks only as victims...Understand I applaud real life public workers, as they are often over worked and underpaid. Oddly the actors that have been in the biz a long time such as Marlee Matlin or Lou Ferrigno in their recent roles were a little deviated from the public service theme but not by far. I'm grateful for many of those who paved the way but the list isnt even two pages long, double spaced and thats SAD for 40 years of TV/Films. I sure hope my list is missing a lot of actors because of lack of information out there or...I do see a recent boom visibility within the media but in what direction? Its hard to say (er I mean) sign.

No comments: