Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Yoda the overlooked spokesperson for ASL

I've been saying it for years but if you listen to how Yoda talks, its like listening to ASL. I would like to see Yoda learn some ASL in any upcomming productions of the Star Wars Franchise. Since he speaks it anyways.



I do seriously tho believe Star Wars Trilogy (the early works), helped shaped future generations. Humans seem to have a weird love affair of machines. It brings us music, images, information, communications etc etc but it also isolates us. I don't know, its hard to believe that less then 10 years ago the WWW was really born. Its not even the computer itself, its the internet.

Right now on Wednesday nights, I am taking Deaf Art & Lit. The first thing we learned was "What is Art?" Art is something uncanny. Something new or already known but presented in a fresh new way. I am beginning to understand how I may be able to do my paper for my final grade and do it as a art/lit review. I may take a history period perpective and see what were the societys values at the time, mainstream and see what art is presented in contrast with the mainstream? I wouldl ike to find some "Guerilla Deaf Art" examples of extremist pov. I will stop by and bother Rosen tmw. He's the director of the ASL studies at TC. I think I will either pick 1 artist or a group of Artist working for one cause. I also would like the work to be from a deaf artist raised in a deaf institute prior to the 60s.

Lately I have been feeling torn. I only have till next August to fulfill my film making, acting, web design related activities, studies. I feel like I am under the gun somewhat. I know I will love teaching. I loved working at MSD. Plus I need a steady income and a new place to live next fall amd the joyous occassion to repay my educational loans back. It seems all 'sooo responsible.'

Last fall I was kinda bitchy the first few weeks of Septemeber. I was still riding on the high from shooting PAWs, doing SSP at the Light House for the Blind in Seattle and ofc my birthday which everyone knows I am so corny about birthdays, especially when its mine. And its August. Time to have fun....
But
September is like this stern authority figure, leaning over me in a black dress, a pair glasses at the end of her nose. My biggest concern is the work hours. I have never been a 8 to 4 kind of girl. I think its pure torture. I think it ages people too. If you wake up feeling lousy rather than rested, how can that be a good thing? Nyhoo, I have several major goals before I have to grow up; To finish all 4 of my movies. To have the finished project on DVDs to give to all of my volunteers and to get a website up and running. Then I gotta tuck it aside and work FT, teaching HS kids ASL. 5 days a week, at an ungodly hour. Unless they have a great afterschool porgram, maybe I can work out a 4 long day a week (Mon thru Thurs) and assit the after school programs. I could do it 4 days (10 hrs a day) a week then 5 (8 hrs a day), less torturous. And I am not one of those kinds of people who can work FT, and be involved in many activities during the week. I end up spending the weekend trying to rest, only to wake up early once again on a monday morning, ugh. This business of 5 days of week was created by some evil farmer, I just know it.

No comments: