Friday, May 05, 2006

Step Down JKF!

Here's a really good article by the Washington Post article from Ridor's blog that explains what's truly the heart of the protest at Gally. I cannot belive the nerve of that woman Jane Fernandes (JKF) saying the students will get used to it and she's not backing down. Hello, if the majority of the deafies don't feel confident in your ability to run Gally, step down! Let go of your pride and do whats in the best interest of the students and Gallaudet Campus! We don't need a paternalistic attitude from someone who thinks they know whats best. So that means several thousands or more deafies are wrong and she (1 person) is right?!

Damn damn damn, the data I needed to work on my SLA paper is at work! I couldve sworn I put it in my bag before I left work. I guess I will just take a break today and tonight. I am not worried, the papers will get done by Monday the 8th, 5pm :)

Erfo my roomie brought some cool clothes this week, she is tempting me to do the same but I will wait till next week. I stopped buying clothes pretty much last October when I decided I would have the surgery. Now that the swelling has gone down tremendously I think I could pick up a few new summer shirts. I am gonna ask Blondie and Erfo to go with me, I need extra eyes to tell me thumbs up or down?

Baba, my grandmother is so sweet, she offered to come here to NYC at the end of the month to help me move. I think it would be better for her to come up a day or two after I've moved so that the worst of its out of the way and she can help me decide where things go? And check out my new place. Meet many of my deafie friends who she's heard about over the years but hasn't met. I've been making a list of things I need for when I move. I definitely need a lot of kitchenware, dinnerware, etc etc.. I need a bed, I am gonna keep my futon in the living room to use as a couch or for company when they stay with me. I'm lucky I got rid of more than half of my belongings before moving to NYC. Since then I've gotten rid of more and I stopped buying unnecessary items. I ask myself now and days before buying something the following;
do I have room for it?
do I really need it?
Will it be useful in the long run?
do I want to carry the object home on the subways?
This helps me to avoid clutter *ha! like I could ever stop with the clutter!* I want to invest in some kind of organizer with cupboards or drawers so things can be put out of sight but still within reach. The older I get the more the miminalist approach appeals to me. I am thinking of doing my bathroom in color schemes of Blue and Orange/Brown colors. I want to try new colors and patterns. I've moved away from the New Age decor. I like classics and Romanticism influences. I also like Asian art.

My friend Karen send me some photos of her at work. She works for 2 deaf dentists in MD. You can read about Dr. Rattner here. Just goes to show, Deafies are in all practices and fields, there's nothing we can't do!





Karen is a great friend, I met her about 6 months before moving to NYC from MD. We just clicked, a bright woman with many talents and a gift for widsom. Funny she's very Christian but she never tries to impose her beliefs on me and we have amazing in depth conversations about anything and everything. Next October, we will be going on a cruise with about 200 other deafies to the Carribean, I can't wait!

If Gally is still protesting next week, I may hop on a bus and go down for 1 day to video interviews with the protestors and to give my support. I am honestly surprised that the Gallaudet Adminstration allows Ridor on campus, I mean if anyone is a threat, its him over Commerson. I adore Ridor so its not that I am saying he should be kicked off campus but I do wonder how JKF feels about Ridor and his amazing blog?

Soon hopping into the shower before meeting friends for Mexican, yum. I hope the margaritas are good?

No comments: