Monday, May 15, 2006

Tent City Photo Saga continues....

Here are the photos from the Rally Friday night b4 the news of the JKF resignation of Provost...



This is one of the younger FSSA supporters;



Here's Cole filming the rally with his sidekick Pibbs!







This is Michy, she was this nice girl who introduced herself the night before at the house party.



Here is the Mayor, Chris of Tent City with Sean Moor and LaToya Plummer nearby;



Here's Ryan Commerson speaking at the Rally after his PNG ban was ended;



Here's one of the FSSA reps who name I wasn't able to get;



Here's another FSSA supporter or rep who's name I didn't catch but he spoke about how people fought against Slavery and this was just another example of oppression and to "break free of the chains" kinda deal;



Here's Tawney Holmes one of the key supporters of FSSA, if she wasn't around Tent City she was busily typing away on the computer working on press releases and letters;



Here was a Russian supporter, name unknow;



Here's Ridor and Stacey (She's a factulty member of RIT/NTID who came down to show her support, nice lady)



At the end of every rally the Mayor, Chris would lead a pep shout of "Unity for Gallaudet!"





Tonight after work is done, I will finally finish uploading the photos from when JKF/BOTs announcement from Friday night.

Since Friday I have had some time to reflect and discuss the FSSA movement. It was interesting for me to see several Deaf NYers said the same thing at different times, they all said the FSSA served as a wake up call to the Deaf Community. We have been very apathetic the past 15 years, and its good to see activism alive and well again. If anything lets hope this sparks a continual trend among all the states in all areas of deaf issues of concerns (education, equal access, etc etc)... Many folks wonder if the protest will continue next fall?

Joe Joy and I were able to talk at length late Saturday nite. He suspects the reason why they choose Fernades is because of all the budget cuts the Deaf community is dealing with for example, NYTD (NY Theatre of the Deaf) lost a lot of funding, perhaps Gally higher ups heard they too may face major budget cuts. JKF has excellent fund raising skills but its the leadership skills that concerns so many of us. I don't know whether it was right of the BOT to pick someone just for the sake of $$ issues? I know Gallaudet needs all the support they can get but at what cost?

I am still disgusted with the imposed compromise by the BOT about JKF resigning as Provost. I mean FSSA really didn't have any say in the matter and if we don't accept this "offer" we look bad in the eyes of the mainstream society. It looks like we are ingrates but how can they expect us to be grateful for this? This isn't what we asked for. We asked for the flaw presidential search committee to re start the process with the understanding of working with FSSA in this search. Instead they had JKF resign provost and then on top of that, to add insult to the injury, she will lead the national search for the new provost! Come on, no one trusts her, why should we trust her to find the right Provost? She had 6 years at Gally, and 5 or 6 years at MSSD to prove herself and she failed to do so repeatedly as a leader. But as a fundraiser, she is excellent. So why don't they have her working in the budget department? Instead of Prez which requires skills other than fundraising such as leadership and the ability to schmooze with the right people (both deaf and hearing)?!

On to other things
My co worker's husband was unable to find anything in Brooklyn so I am on my own. I've emailed 10 different apts today and a few rooms for rent. I may just cave in and have roommates again. I don't have a choice to be honest. I am leery of roommates but I would save myself a lot of money if I had roommates. Plus the aggravation of applying for a lease and not having a large income. Perhaps one more year with roommates? Or do I float around with friends for one month and then maybe roommate with a deaf friend?? I will see how the next few weeks go...

Alrighty back to work and apt hunting and will finish posting photos tonight, PROMISE!

1 comment:

Brian Riley said...

It's not really over yet!

Luis has left us, but his pro-FSSA spirit remains...

CLICK HERE for more info.

Godspeed, Luis...