Saturday, May 13, 2006

This FSSA supporter has turned back into a "literal" pumpkin. Am on my way back to NYC. Its raining here and honestly, it fits the mood. I'm feeling serious, funny tho not sad but more of curious? What will happen next? Will there be a Tent City II?

Well, goodbye DC, it was nice seeing you, kinda, sorta..No, really, it was nice to visit.
But back to tonights events;

After I blogged earlier. I went around and typed on my sidekick names of people who were also additional key players. When I post the pictures, I want their names and what they represent. I may not be a journalist but if I can't film, I can do some photography instead. Anyways I will explain more in depth tmw about the people when I post the photos.

Yet there were many supporters who were part of this before I arrived 3 days ago. I do want to make it clear that what I post/blog/share photographs are about the events of the past 3 days. They were many, many people who sacracficed their time away from their family, friends, work, final exams and came from all over the country, so make sure to THANK them! We also have international support so kudos to FSSA and for the Deaf community at large.

If you know someone who gave at least one day to this peaceful, FSSA movement, make sure to visit with them. Find what happened? Because reading about it and being there are two different things. I can only share with you my experience on the night of the 10th, 11th all day and part of the 12th. And I'm glad I did it. Seeing it with my own eyes, running into many old faces and knowing we all really do care about what's happening.

I attended MSSD 4 years and Gally 4 years, there was no way I could stand idly by in NYC and not take the time to come down here. I was lucky enough to be a part of it and sadly be there at the end FSSA Phase I. FSSA has my deepest respect and personal gratitude for their continuing efforts.

But, if you weren't able to come, have no fear. I can almost sign, but not promise that everyone will get a 2nd chance to show their support next fall when Gally is back in full swing. There are already plans being made, wheels in motion... Trust FSSA and give them a little time to step back and analyze the past 2 weeks and use the time to plan accordingly for the fall, what I consider to be Phase II. I will find the website for the updates (when I'm not using my trusty side kick for blogging!)

The biggest concerns I saw repeatedly was that by dismantling Tent City, we look weak. That perhaps things won't continue. Efforts would fall apart. "Keep up the momentum." I personally would like to see a small time Vi(r)gil held outside the front gates of Gally by any FSSA supporters. Just think if 3 to 5 people volunteer weekly for the next 3 months, that will show we have endurance and are in this for the long haul. There's gotta be some visibility for the BOT, and society to take us seriously. This is only my personal opinion, tho I will ofc support FSSA decisions on how to proceed. Just suggestions is all I make as Joe Joy calls me "General J.." And I share the concerns of many of the supporters.



Oh yeah before I forget. During the rally, before the JKF/BOTs newest decision... During the rally, someone called for Deaf bloggers to come up and say hi and share our website. I was conflicted, do I go up cuz I'm not big time like Ridor or Elisa... I mean damn they are the key players, me just a supporter. Still I went up there anyways and made it clear as a NYer deafie and FSSA supporter, that my blog has actively mentioned their efforts. Then they asked us to fingerspell our website, thank god I did it without messing up. I hate fingerspelling to an audience and while mine is public, I never openly advertised it. Still it was fun. Commerson was able to make it back on campus. Whoever approved of the dismisal of the PNG (Persona non gratis) thank you. Commerson was able to attend his gf's graduation and he also spoke at the Rally.

A lot of other deafies were in town tonight for the graduation today. I think yesterday was grad schools, today is undergrad graduation? Karen and I hit the 'Poor House' which was originally the old "Politikki's." That place has been upgraded big time! If you ever want the what I like to call, "The Capitol Hill" experience, go to any bar near 'Poor House' off of Pennslyvania Ave. I was "talked" out by 11pm so we headed to the bus stop and I boarded the bus proudly wearing my "Unity for Gallaudet."

On a different note, Eddie txt me to tell me, a co worker has an apt she wants me to look at. Guess it'll be next week since when I VP called work earlier around 1pm, they said she was out for the day. Nonetheless, someone is helping me with my apt hunting and is the glad.

My pager battery is running low, so I must sign off and the next installments will deafinitely be PHOTOs!

No comments: